What is the size of India? Where is it located on the map of the world or the globe? if you want to know the answers to these questions, go through this post where we have provided Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 question answers, chapter exercises, and map skills with extra questions and answers to analyze the chapter in an easy way.
1. Subcontinent: Landmass with distinct physical and culture identified within a continent.
2. Longitude: The distance in degrees of a place east or west of the Greenwich Meridian.
3. Latitude: The distance in degrees of a place north or south of the equator.
4. Peninsula: An area of land almost surrounded by water on three sides.
5. Continent: Large landmass of the Earth.
6. Strait: A narrow passage of water that connects two seas or large areas of water.
7. Island: A piece of land completely surrounded by water.
Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 Mcq
- Choose the right answer from the four alternatives given below:
(i) The Tropic of Cancer does not pass through
(ii) The easternmost longitude of India is
(a) 97° 25′ E
(b) 68° 7′ E
(c) 77° 6’E
(d) 82° 32′ E
(iii) Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, and Sikkim have common frontiers with
(iv) If you intend to visit Kavarati during your summer vacations, which one of the following Union Territories of India you will be going to
(c) Andaman & Nicobar
(d) Daman & Diu
(v) My friend hails from a country that does not share a land boundary with India, identify the country.
ANSWERS: i (b) Odisha ii. (a) 97° 25′ E iii. (c) Nepal iv. (b) Lakshadweep v. (b) Tajikistan
2. Answer the following questions:
(i) Name the groups of islands lying in the Arabian Sea.
(ii) Name the countries which are larger than India.
Answer: Russia, Canada, USA, China, Brazil, Australia
(iii) Which island group of India lies to its southeast?
Answer: Andaman & Nicobar Island
(iv) Which island countries are our southern neighbours?
Answer: Srilanka & Maldives
3. The sun rises two hours earlier in Arunachal Pradesh as compared to Gujarat in the west but the watches show at the same time. How does this happen?
Answer: The sun rises two hours earlier in Arunachal Pradesh as compared to Gujarat in the west but the watches show at the same time due to Indian Standard meridian time (82°30’E) which has been taken to avoid confusion of time.
4. The central location of India at the head of the Indian Ocean is considered of great significance. why?
Answer: The central location of India at the head of the Indian Ocean is considered of great significance due to the following reasons:
i) The Indian Ocean encloses India from three directions East, West, and South.
ii) India occupies a centrally located strategic position in the Indian Ocean.
iii) The Indian Ocean is the only ocean in the world named after a country.
iv) India is well connected to the European Countries in west & east Asia through the trans-Indian ocean routes.
Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 Map Skills
1. Identify the following with the help of map reading.
(i) The island groups of India lie in the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal.
Answer: The Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal & the Lakshadweep Islands in the Arabian Sea.
(ii) The countries constituting the Indian subcontinent.
Answer: India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka.
(iii) The states through which the Tropic of Cancer passes.
Answer: Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura, Mizoram.
(iv) The northernmost latitude in degrees.
Answer: 37° 6’N
(v) The southernmost latitude of the Indian mainland in degrees.
Answer: 8° 4′ N
(vi) The eastern and the western-most longitude in degrees.
Answer: 68° 7’E to 97° 25’E
(vii) The place situated on the three seas.
(viii) The strait separating Sri Lanka from India.
Answer: Palk Strait
(ix) The Union Territories of India.
Answer: 1. Delhi
3. Dadra Nagar Haveli & Daman & Diu
5. Andaman & Nicobar
7. Jammu & Kashmir
Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 Question Answer
1. Why 82°30’E has been selected as the Standard Meridian of India?
Answer: 82°30’E has been selected as the Standard Meridian of India because
i. it is a central meridian for India.
ii. It divides the country into two equal halves.
iii. It passes through Mirzapur near the city of Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh.
iv. Nepal and Sri Lanka also adopted 82°30’E as the Standard Meridian to avoid time differences with India.
2. Why is the difference between the duration of day and night hardly felt at Kanyakumari but not so in Kashmir?
Answer: The difference between the duration of day and night is hardly felt at Kanyakumari but not so in Kashmir because Kanyakumari is close to the equator where the sun is almost overhead all year round. The maximum difference between the length of day and night is hardly 45 minutes.
But in Kashmir, the rays of the sun are always slanting so the difference between the length of day and night is five hours.
3. The number of Union Territories along the western and eastern coast.
Answer: The Union Territories along the western and eastern coast are-
i. Dadra Nagar Haveli & Daman & Diu
4. Area which is the smallest and which is the largest state?
Answer: Smallest state- Goa
Largest State- Rajasthan
5. The states which do not have an international border or lie on the coast.
Answer: i.Madhya Pradesh,
iv. Telangana &
6. Classify the states into four groups each having common frontiers with:
(i) Pakistan (ii) China (iii) Myanmar (iv) Bangladesh
Also Read Here Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 Notes: India Size and Location Class 9 Notes | Easy Concept
What is India’s size and location?
India is a country located in South Asia and it has a land area of approximately 3.29 million square kilometres.
What is the importance of Indian location?
India’s location is important as it serves as a bridge between South Asia, Central Asia, and the Middle East, making it a crucial geopolitical and economic hub in the region.
What are the 5 names of India?
The five names of India are as follows:
Who named India first?
Christopher Columbus named India first.
Where is our country located?
India is located in the Northern Hemisphere. It extends between 8°4′ to 37°6′ north latitudes and 68°7 and 97°25′ east longitudes.
I hope the information given above regarding Chapter 1 India Size and Location has been helpful to you. If you have any other queries about NCERT Class 9 Geography Chapter 1, feel free to reach us so that we can get back to you at the earliest possible.