In today’s world, it is important for students to develop a comprehensive understanding of diversity and its significance. NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Political Science Chapter 1, “Understanding Diversity,” provide students with the concept of diversity, its various forms, and the importance of embracing it. This blog post aims to solve all exercises covered in this chapter in an easy way.
- Diversity: the quality or state of being different.
- Secular country: A country in which all religions enjoy equal respect.
- Discrimination: the unjust treatment of individuals based on race, gender, religion, or ethnicity.
- Stereotype: A simplified belief about a particular group of people, based on limited information.
- Famine: a severe shortage of food in a specific region resulting in widespread hunger, malnutrition, and sometimes death due to starvation.
1. Draw up a list of the different festivals celebrated in your locality. These celebrations are shared by members of different regional and religious communities.
|Different Festivals in our locality||Celebrations by Different Regional and Religious Communities.||Shared by Members of Different communities.|
|1. Diwali, Dussehra, Holi,|
Janmashtami, Raksha Bandhan
|2. Makar Sankranti, Baisakhi||Hindus||Sikhs|
|3. Guru Purab||Sikhs||Hindus|
|5. Christmas||Christians||Hindus, Muslims|
2. What do you think living in India with its rich heritage of diversity adds to your life?
Answer: Living in India with its rich heritage of diversity adds immense value to one’s life-
- It provides a unique opportunity to know different cultures, traditions, languages, and religions.
- It provides individuals with a wide range of art, music, dance, and literature.
- It encourages tolerance, acceptance, and appreciation for different customs, traditions, and beliefs.
- It shows the concept of unity in diversity.
3. Do you think the term “unity in diversity” is an appropriate term to describe India? What do you think Nehru is trying to say about Indian unity in the sentence quoted above from his book The Discovery of India?
Answer: In my opinion, the term “unity in diversity” is an appropriate term to describe India. As India has diversity in terms of languages, religions, cultures, traditions, physical features, and climate. Despite all these diversities, there is unity among the people.
Pt. Nehru in his book “The Discovery of India,” wrote, “India was always united despite religious, geographical, economic and cultural differences.” He said that India’s unity does not stem from the uniformity of culture or beliefs but from the ability of its people to respect each other’s differences.
4. Underline the line in the poem sung after the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, which according to you, reflects India’s essential unity.
Answer: In my opinion, the following line reflects India’s essential unity.
“The blood of Hindus and Muslims flows together today.”
5. Choose another region in India and do a similar study of the historical and geographical factors that influence the diversity found there. Are these traditional and geographical factors connected to each other? How?
|1. Traders from overseas||1. Traders from China|
|2. Traders from within the country||2. Traders from within the country|
|1. Topography: Konkan Plateau||1. Topography: River Brahmaputra Valley|
|2. Climate: Hot & Moderate||2. Climate: Hot & wet|
|3. Crops: Rice, wheat||3. Crops: Rice, tea, sugarcane & cotton|
Extra Questions | Class 6 political science chapter 1
Very Short Questions Answers
- Which country in the world is full of diversity?
Answer: India is full of diversity.
- Who coined the phrase “Unity in Diversity”?
Answer: Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru coined the phrase “Unity in Diversity”.
- Which union territory of India is known as Little Tibet?
Answer: Ladakh is known as Little Tibet.
- Who composed our National Anthem?
Answer: Rabindra Nath Tagore composed our National Anthem.
- Which book was written by Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru?
Answer: Discovery of India.
- When was the National Flag adopted by Constituent Assembly?
Answer: The National Flag was adopted by Constituent Assembly on 22nd July 1947.
- Which is the main festival of Kerala?
Answer: Onam is the main festival of Kerala.
- What are some aspects of diversity?
Answer: Language, clothing, food, customs, and more.
- What does the chapter discuss about diversity in India?
Answer: India’s rich heritage of different religions, languages, festivals, and traditions.
- Name a special attraction of Onam.
Answer: The sailing boat competition is a special attraction of Onam.
Short Questions Answers
- How is India a country of diversity?
Answer: India is a country of diversity due to the following aspects:
i) Over 1,600 languages are spoken across the nation.
ii) Many religions such as Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, and Buddhism are followed here.
iii) There is variation in regional cultures, traditions, and customs from state to state.
iv) India has different landscapes, climates, and biodiversity in different regions of the country.
v) Different art forms, music, dance, and literature reflect the diverse expressions of creativity.
- What is the meaning of Unity in Diversity?
Answer: “Unity in diversity” means the concept that despite differences in cultures, religions, languages, and traditions, there is a fundamental unity that binds a diverse group of people together. It promotes the understanding that despite various backgrounds, people can live in harmony and work towards a shared goal of progress, and peace.
- How does diversity enrich our life?
Answer: Diversity enriches our life by expanding perspectives, promoting creativity, enhancing personal growth, strengthening communities, and challenging stereotypes.
- Give one example to show how geographical conditions determine food habits.
Answer: Geographical conditions such as the availability of resources and climate determine food habits. For example,
coastal regions have a preference for seafood due to their access to fresh seafood resources.
- What are the three forms of diversity in India?
Answer: The three forms of diversity in India are:
i) Linguistic diversity: More than 1,600 languages are spoken across the country.
ii) Religious diversity: Many religions such as Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, and Buddhism are followed in India.
iii) Cultural diversity: There is variation in regional cultures, traditions, and customs from state to state in India.
Long Question Answer
1. How do historical & geographical factors influence the diversity of a region? Explain with the example of Ladakh & Kerala.
Answer: Historical and geographical factors influence the diversity of a region. We give the examples of Ladakh and Kerala to understand their influence:
- Historical Factors: Ladakh’s history is deeply influenced by its location on the ancient Silk Road trade route. It has witnessed the influence of Tibetan, Central Asian, and Indian cultures.
- Geographical Factors: Ladakh has rugged mountains and cold desert landscapes. It is covered with snow. Due to this, very little agriculture is possible.
- Historical Factors: Kerala was influenced by Arab, Chinese, and European civilizations. It was a center for the spice trade, attracting traders from various parts of the world.
- Geographical Factors: Kerala’s coastal location and abundant rainfall have contributed to a strong agricultural sector, such as the cultivation of spices, coconut, and rice.
The Ncert Solution Class 6 political science chapter 1 “Understanding Diversity” provides students with a comprehensive understanding of diversity & its importance. By studying and practicing this Ncert solution, students can enhance their knowledge, improve their problem-solving skills, and perform better in their exams. You can access them by visiting the website. If you have any other queries about Class 6 political science chapter 1 “Understanding Diversity” feels free to reach us so that we can revert back to us at the earliest possible.
1. What is diversity in class 6 political science?
In Class 6 political science, diversity means differences among individuals and communities based on factors such as language, religion, culture, customs, traditions, and more.
2. What are the positive effects of diversity?
The positive effects of diversity are to increase creativity and innovation, enhance problem-solving, enriched cultural exchange, and foster social understanding and tolerance.
3. What are the types of diversity?
linguistic diversity, religious diversity, cultural diversity, ethnic diversity, and gender diversity.